My coworker Heather is expecting her second baby and she finally found out the gender last night! Instead of just telling all of our coworkers, we decided to do a cupcake reveal, similar to what I did the last time she was pregnant.
Instead of making a cream filling, I decided just to dye half of the batter in red or blue and cover the top with white batter. They would be baked in my silicone liners so you couldn’t tell the color until you peel off the liner.
This recipe was slightly altered by replacing the butter with chia gel and coconut oil for healthy/less fat. The frosting is basic vanilla buttercream.
Low-fat Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees. Fill a 12 cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- 2. Mix together chia seeds and water in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to allow to gel.
- 3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 4. Add vanilla, milk, and eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- 5. In standing mixer, cream coconut oil, chia gel, and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- 6. Add half the liquid mixture and mix on medium speed.
- 7. With mixer on low speed, add half the flour mixture until just blended.
- 8. Add the rest of the liquid mixture and mix just until blended.
- 9. Add remaining flour mixture and mix just until blended. Scrape down bowl to make sure entire mixture is smooth.
- 10. Divide batter between 12 cupcake cups and bake for approx 20-22 minutes or until tops are just dry to the touch.