A few days ago, I [somewhat] impulsively bought some hazelnuts because I love the flavor and wanted to experiment with them. I looked around online for recipes but ended up wanting to try homemade Nutella, but with a catch– I’d use protein powder instead of chocolate chips.
It was very quick and easy to make (though skinning the hazelnuts was a slight hassle) and the flavor turned out great! The consistency is obviously a little thicker and not as smooth as Nutella due to the protein powder. Enjoy!
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 scoop (30 g) chocolate protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- (If your hazelnuts are already toasted and skinned, skip this step!) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spread hazelnuts in one layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes, then allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Put the nuts in a kitchen towel and rub them to get all the skin off. (You won't be able to get ALL the skin off, but do your best because the skins cause a slightly bitter taste)
- Once the hazelnuts are skinned, throw them in the food processor and pulse until it forms into hazelnut butter.
- Add vanilla and coconut oil and pulse.
- Finally, add in protein powder and milk and pulse until you reach a smooth consistency.
- 55 calories
- 4.7 g fat
- 1.2 g carbs
- 2.2 g protein
- 0.2 g sugar