Being that it’s not too far past Valentine’s Day means that, yes, I have taken advantage of the post-V-day candy sales. I ended up with a bag of m&ms without any real plan of what to do with them so I decided to browse Pinterest for ideas and landed on these cookies. The recipe calls for browned butter, which is something I’ve never done before, but I had the time so why not try it?
I carefully heated my butter, stirring constantly, and it’s a good thing to keep a watchful eye because it started browning very quickly! I removed the pan from heat and the butter continued to brown, so I quickly tossed in the rest of the cold butter to slow the process. My kitchen now smelled incredible – it’s like the smell of fresh, homemade caramel minus the sugar.
Mixing the ingredients to make the cookie dough was pretty standard, and I decided to alter the original recipe by lowering the baking temperature. I’m glad I did because the texture came out perfectly. The cookies are slightly browned on the edges and super soft in the middle and absolutely delicious!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, browned and brought back to room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup m&ms
- Cut your stick of butter in half and heat 1/2 stick of butter (4 tablespoons) in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes or until butter has browned. Remove from heat and stir in the other half of the butter stick until smooth.
- Pour butter into a heat-proof container and refrigerate or freeze until solid, then bring butter back to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees (F). Line baking sheets with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, measure out baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Mix together room temperature butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Stir in baking soda and salt, then add flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in m&ms by hand.
- Roll into 1 inch dough balls and space about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until edges are just slightly browned.
- If you don't have much patience, prepare your brown butter the night before so that it's ready to go the next day.